This weekend the Sellersville Museum continues it's celebration of Sellersville's 275th Anniversary by celebrating the oldest of Sellersville Borough Churches.
The three Sellersville churches in the exhibit will be St. Michael's, St. Agnes and St. Paul's. All of the churchs have been gracious enough to allow the Museum to display artifacts from their own archives for the general public to view.
A little History of the churches c/o "Sellersville Through Time: An Historical and Architectural Walking Tour. Series 2 guide" available at the gift shop.
St. Micheal's Evangelical Lutheran Church on East Church Street was founded in 1869 with a congregation that first consisted of 20 people. The building was finished and consecrated on May 2 & 3 1874.
In 1876 a bell was installed in the church tower. This bell from 1874 is now on it's front lawn as a memorial to Eleanor Kathryn Dillman. The church also has the distinction of being the first electric lights in a Sellersville public building.
St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church was founded in 1865 as a mission church. This meant that the church would have services conducted by other parish's priests. In 1877 Parochial status was given to St. Stanislaus in and Lansdale and St. Agnes. This meant that the churches would share one priest, Rev. John A. Kuel was the first to serve both Lansdale and Sellersville parishes.
St. Agnes reverted back to a mission church in 1880 and remained that way until 1919, when it attained permanent parish status.
St Agnes grew and out grew each of their buildings. The first was completed in 1868, extended in 1908, a new building constructed in 1953, and finally the latest church finished in 1985.
St. Paul's United Church of Christ was formed on June 23rd 1900, when the two congregations of St Michael's voted to separate all joint property interests and move the congregation to Green Street. The building was dedicated on December 14th 1902.
The congregation went through several name changes:
St. Michael's Reformed Church (1871- 1900)
St. Paul's Reformed Church (1900- 1934)
St. Paul's Evengelical and Reformed Church (1934 - 1957)
St. Paul's United Church of Christ (1957- present)
St Paul's Pastor from 1924- 1948 was Rev. James R. Shepley painted a mural with the assistance from his daughter, Catherine. Catherine eventually became a published author, illustrator, author and artist. The Piece hung behind the altar at St Paul's until the redocoration was completed in 1946 and the piece was removed. The Mural was donated to the Sellersville Museum and is on permanent display in the church Exhibit area.
So come on out and see these rare photos and memorabilia from these historic places.
The Museum will be open from 12 - 4 pm on Saturday and Sunday February 9th and 10th. Admission is always FREE. Located in the old school building 120 east Church Street, Sellersville Pa 18960
To keep up to date please "Like" us on Facebook.