.

Small Fire Contained to Front Corner of Hancock St. Home

Fairmount Fire Co. crews knocked down the fire in under a half hour

A small fire that broke out at 814 E. Hancock Street in Lansdale was brought under control in under a half hour by Fairmount Fire Co. firefighters.

The front left corner of the home on the outside of the front porch was scorched and parts of the asbestos siding were removed to access the fire.

The fire broke out a little after 7 p.m. and was under control by 7:40 p.m.

Neighbors of Cypress Street and East Hancock Street witnessed the small fire.

"We didn't know what it was," said resident Rich Frei. "We saw them bust the door in."

Another resident on the scene said the smoke was coming from the side of the house, and fire crews had to take a piece of the siding off.

"They think maybe from the heater, because the heater's on that side of the basement," Frei said. "Nobody was in the house."

The 22-year-old homeowner is a college student and lives alone, according to a resident on scene. His mother is recently deceased.

Frei said he called the homeowner's aunt who lives in North Wales to respond to the fire.

Residents said the fire was called in by commuters driving past the house.

"The kids ran to the window and said the police are at Glenda's house," said one neighbor, referring to the deceased homeowner. "I said 'What?' and ran out."

There are reports that there was no damage to the interior of the home. Residents discussed the possibility of the cause of the fire being electrical if it started inside the wall.

Fairmount Fire Co. was assisted at the scene by Fairmount Fire Police and Volunteer Medical Service Corps Special Operations unit.

Hancock Street was closed between Church Road and Pennbrook Avenue.

According to Dan Sokil of The Reporter, no immediate cause was determined as of Tuesday night.

Stay tuned as we update this story.

Sarah Handerhan September 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM
The fire was actually visible from the sidewalk, with flames going about half way up the side of the house. You could hear the fire crackling about three houses down Spruce St. My neighbor noticed the fire while walking his dog. No cars driving down Hancock noticed the fire until after neighbors gathered in front of the house. At that point a passerby asked what was going on and if 911 needed to be called, but at that point, I was already on the phone with them. While this was happening neighbors banged on the door, trying to find out if anyone was home. My dad took the outside garden hose, and began hosing down the fire on the outside of the house until firefighters arrived.
Tony Di Domizio (Editor) September 12, 2012 at 04:20 AM
Wow! Thank you for the update, Sarah

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something