The Chronicle of Higher Education released the salaries of presidents of private colleges across the country.
Did you know Drexel University's former president, the late Constantine Papadakis, was making $4.9 million a year? That figure includes base pay of $195,726, a $345,000 bonus, "other pay" of $4.3 million, $32,450 in deferred compensation and $12,335 in nontaxable benefits.
Locally, President Joseph Brosnan makes $303,889 in total compensation. President John Strassburger made $414,909 during his 1995 to 2010 tenure.
The lowest on the list overall? Sister Janet Eisner, of Emmanuel College in Massachusetts, at $7,855 a year.
The second-highest paid president of a private Pennsylvania school is Alfred Bloom of Swarthmore College, making $1.75 million in total compensation until his tenure in 2009.
The lowest-paid president of a private Pennsylvania school is La Salle University President Brother Michael J. McGinniss at $27,621 in total compensation.
Here's what some other private Pennsylvania college presidents deposit in their bank accounts for total compensation :
- University of Pennsylvania President Amy Gutmann: $1.32 million
- Lehigh University President Alice P. Gast: $921,830
- Franklin & Marshall College President John A. Fry: $874,587 (2002-2010 tenure)
- Carnegie Mellon University President Jared L. Cohon: $816,726
- Bucknell University President Brian C. Mitchell: $741,034 (2004-2010 tenure)
- Duquesne University President Charles Dougherty: $701,659
- Dickinson College President William Durden: $690,041
- Chatham University President Esther Barazzone: $666,097
- Lafayette College President Daniel Weiss: $613,021
- Widener University President James T. Harris III: $606,865
- Bryn Mawr College President Jane Damman McAuliffe: $542,057
- York College of Pennsylvania President George Waldner: $481,027
- Arcadia University President Jerry Greiner: $479,004 (2004-2011 tenure)
- Haverford College President Stephen Emerson: $466,516 (2007-2011 tenure)
- Washington and Jefferson College President Tori Haring-Smith: $460,662
- Point Park University President Paul Hennigan: $454,513
- Susquehanna University President Jay Lemons: $420,785
- Philadelphia University President Stephen Spinelli Jr.: $420,764
- Robert Morris University President Gregory Dell'Omo: $419,221
- Albright College President Lex McMillan III: $416,811
- Ursinus College President John Strassburger: $414,909 (1995-2010 tenure)
- Gannon University President Antoine Garibaldi: $404,820 (2001-2010 tenure)
- Muhlenberg College President Peyton Helm: $400,455
- Alvernia University President Thomas Flynn: $388,873
- Gettysburg College President Janet Morgan Riggs: $380,327
- Juniata College President Thomas Kepple Jr.: $363,939
- Wilkes University President Joseph Gilmour: $358,874
- Grove City College President Richard Jewell: $355,337
- Allegheny College President James Mullen Jr.: $336,895
- Cabrini College President Marie Angelella George: $335,945
- Swarthmore College Presient Rebecca Chopp: $330,752
- Elizabethtown College President Theodore Long: $324,121 (1996-2011 tenure)
- Messiah College President Kim Phipps: $323,786
- Lebanon Valley College President Stephen MacDonald: $316,193
- Neumann University President Rosalie Mirenda: $313,979
- Moravian College President Christopher Thornforde: $310,801
- Saint Vincent College President James Towey: $310,458
- Misericordia University President Michael MacDowell: $307,955
- Delaware Valley College President Joseph Brosnan: $303,889
- Mercyhurst College President Thomas Gamble: $293,903
- Westminster College President Richard Dorman: $288,352
- Eastern University President David Black: $264,740
- Marywood University President Sister Anne Munley: $31,479
- King's College President Rev. Thomas O'Hara: $29,951
- University of Scranton President Rev. Scott Pilarz: $28,191 (2003-2011 tenure)
The salaries of the presidents of Villanova, Immaculata, St. Joseph's, DeSales, Holy Family and St. Francis were unavailable.